8.09.2011

baking: peanut butter cups

I had a revelation while eating Reese's.
'These aren't really that good' I thought to myself.
And as I pondered this further I realized that yes, the peanut butter is the lowest level a butter made from peanuts can be, and the chocolate is sub par at best. The real reason I eat them, and crave them constantly, is the idea, the concept of chocolate and peanut butter. Sweet and salty together. And taking those individual papers off to leave a perfect little exposed zig-zag edge which I find so indefinably satisfying. But I am actually very prissy about my chocolate and so why do I subject myself to these mass-produced chocolate confections that are always a little bit disappointing and leave me feeling sort unsatisfied? Because it's a good idea.
And now for the true goal of this revelation. After the 'these aren't that good' thought and some pondering, came a brief examination after which I concluded that, why yes, I can make these myself, with better ingredients, and therefore they will be everything that I want Reese's (but they can't cause they can only be the sum of their inferior parts). Note that this is meant as no slight on Reese's, though it may certainly seem that way, as they do satisfy the urge when it arises (and the self made variety are not an option due to time constraints), and they have provided me with such an earth-shatteringly good inspiration I must appreciate them for that as well.

OK, enough talk, on the the making-of-the-goodies.
Turns out I was right and these were obscenely easy to make. Temper chocolate (I prefer semi-sweet) in a double boiler (or a stainless steel bowl over boiling water if you find yourself without the traditional kind on hand). Line a mini muffin tray with mini cupcake liners and spoon the tempered chocolate into the liners. I did about a teaspoon into the bottom of the liner, and then loaded up a little bit more chocolate on the spoon and gently dripped it along the edge of the liner so that it is fully coated. When all the liners are evenly coated in chocolate put them in the refrigerator to harden.

Then while the little chocolate cups were in the fridge I made some peanut butter filling. I used some nice chunky organic peanut butter that I had left out for a while so it would be at room temperature. I mixed in a bit of confectioners sugar but then found it to be too sweet so I added in some salt and that seemed to bring it to just the right balance of sweet and salty. When the cups were chilled enough that they were going to hold their shape on their own I took them out and filled them with peanut butter filling. About a teaspoon each. Then I tempered a bit more chocolate and spooned it over the top, taking care to have every bit of peanut butter covered with the chocolate top, and making sure it fully extended to the sides, as the goal was to make an enclosed chocolate cup just like a Reese's.

After the (excruciating) wait while the final layer of chocolate cooled in the fridge, I was able to consume the first of my miraculous creations. And was it ever good. I mean I knew it would be good cause all the parts are good on their own, and the parts are chocolate and peanut butter so they are probably going to taste good together as well but still there is a moment of uncertainty when you cross your fingers that your crazy plan will have worked.
Well it did.

They eve look sort of like the store bought version, albeit with a much less uniformly smooth chocolate top but hey, I'm not a machine, and I did just make peanut butter cups. From scratch, so no nitpicking or you won't get any. And let me just say, you do want to try these. Or have a whole batch to yourself. They are that good.
Unless you don't like chocolate or are not a big fan of peanut butter, but if that is the case, really, I don't know what to say to you other than dude, you are missing out.


No comments:

Post a Comment