11.14.2011

baking: butternut squash soup

On cold days soup is my favorite thing to eat, and it is actually quite satisfying to make as well. You see soup is a triple threat: soups is a house perfumer, it fills ones tummy with warmth, and when you lean over it to stir the steam gives you a brief facial! I would say that's a win win win. I made a simple butternut squash soup the other day for a friend, to whom I have a rather steep debt of dinners owed (she likes to cook for me) and it was the perfect drizzly day for a belly warming soup. So I made this up as I went along, adding coconut milk and a bit of curry paste to add a bit of a Thai flavor (cause I knew she was a fan).

I also made cheese biscuits which were fabulous, but unfortunately I have no photographic evidence of said baked delights, as they were scarfed down with such speed that not even a crumb remained. And everyone knows biscuits are best fresh out of the oven, particularly if they are of the cheese-y variety.
If you were interested in making this soup yourself here is the (approximate) recipe:
1 medium onion, chopped
olive oil
a few carrots, chopped
1 carton of stock (chicken or vegetable as is your preference)
1 med/large butternut squash, peeled, cored and cubed
a few russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 can coconut milk
curry paste
In a large pot saute onion in olive oil until translucent. Add carrots, potato and squash and stock. Cover and let cook on medium heat for 20-30 min or until the vegetables are soft. Use an immersion blender to blend soup until it is an even consistency. In a small bowl mix a half cup of coconut milk with 1tsp-1tbsp of curry paste (depending on how spicy you like your food) then mix in the rest of the coconut milk and pour it into the blended soup. Mix and serve warm.
This recipe could of course be done without the coconut milk and curry (just sub cream or if you really must, milk, though it will not be as thick and delicious) and it takes less than an hour. I think next time I might even have to make a double batch cause the leftovers are so nice to have around. And that next time is going to be pretty soon. Maybe I'll even manage to snag a photo of the biscuits...

No comments:

Post a Comment